Top Benefits of Taking Collagen Supplements
Taking collagen is associated with a number of health cures. Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body.
It is the major component of your connective tissues that make up several of your body parts, including tendons, ligaments, skin and muscles (1).
Collagen has many important functions, including providing your skin with structure (removes wrinkles) and strengthening your bones (2).
In recent years, collagen supplements have become popular because they work. Most are hydrolyzed, which means the collagen has been broken down, making it easier for you to absorb. There are also several foods you can eat to increase your collagen intake, including pork skin and bone broth.
Helps Relieve Joint Pain
Collagen helps maintain the integrity of your cartilage, which is the rubber-like tissue that protects your joints.
As the amount of collagen in your body decreases as you get older, your risk of developing degenerative joint disorders such as osteoarthritis increases (3).
In one study, 73 athletes who consumed 10 grams of collagen daily for 24 weeks experienced a significant decrease in joint pain while walking and at rest compared to a group that did not take it (6).
In another study, adults took two grams of collagen daily for 70 days. Those who took collagen had a significant reduction in joint pain and were better able to engage in physical activity than those who did not take it (7).
Researchers have theorized that supplemental collagen may accumulate in cartilage and stimulate your tissues to make collagen.
They have suggested this may lead to lower inflammation, better support of your joints and reduced pain (8).
SUMMARY Taking collagen supplements has been shown to reduce inflammation and stimulate collagen synthesis in the body. This may help promote pain relief for people with joint disorders such as osteoarthritis. It also increases bone mass and restores lost elasticity.
Could Prevent Bone Loss
Your bones are made mostly of collagen, which gives them structure and helps stay them strong (11).
As collagen in your body deteriorates as you age, bone mass does too. This may lead to conditions such as osteoporosis, which is characterized by low bone density and linked with a higher risk of bone fractures (12, 13).
Studies have shown that taking collagen supplements may have dramatic effects in the body that help inhibit the bone breakdown that leads to osteoporosis (14).
In one study, women participating in a study took either a calcium supplement combined with 5 grams of collagen or a calcium supplement and no collagen daily for 12 months.
By the end of the study, the women taking the calcium and collagen supplement had significantly lower blood levels of proteins that promote bone breakdown than those taking only the calcium (15).
Another study found similar results in 66 women who took 5 grams of collagen daily for 12 months.
The women who took the collagen had an increase of up to 7% in their bone mineral density (BMD), compared to women who did not consume collagen (16).
BMD is a measure of the amount of minerals, such as calcium, in your bones. Low BMD is associated with weak bones and the development of osteoporosis (17).
These results are promising and the role of collagen supplements in bone health can be confirmed – it works.
SUMMARY Consuming collagen supplements may help reduce the risk of bone disorders such as osteoporosis. They have the potential to help increase BMD and lower levels of proteins in the blood that stimulate bone breakdown.
Promotes Heart Health
Researchers have theorized that taking collagen supplements may help reduce the risk of heart-related conditions.
Collagen provides structure to your arteries, the blood vessels that carry blood from your heart to the rest of your body. Without enough collagen, arteries may become weak and fragile (18).
This may lead to atherosclerosis, a disease characterized by the narrowing of the arteries. Atherosclerosis has the potential to lead to heart attack and stroke (19).
In one study, 31 healthy adults took 16 grams of collagen daily for six months. By the end, they had experienced a significant reduction in measures of artery stiffness compared to before they started taking the supplement (20).
Additionally, they increased their levels of “good” HDL cholesterol by an average of 6%. HDL is an important factor in the risk of heart conditions, including atherosclerosis (21).
Nevertheless, more studies of how collagen helps your heart are in process regarding the role of collagen supplements in heart health.
SUMMARY Taking collagen supplements may help reduce the risk factors associated with heart conditions such as atherosclerosis.
Other Health Benefits
Collagen supplements may have other health benefits, but these have not been studied extensively.
- Hair and nails: Taking collagen may increase the strength of your nails by preventing brittleness. Additionally, it may stimulate your hair and nails to grow longer (22).
- Gut health: Although there is no scientific evidence to support this claim, some health practitioners promote the use of collagen supplements to treat intestinal permeability, or leaky gut syndrome.
- Brain health: No studies have examined the role of collagen supplements in brain health. However, some people claim they improve mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety.
- Weight loss: Some believe that taking collagen supplements may promote weight loss and a faster metabolism. There have not been any studies to support these claims.
SUMMARY Collagen supplements have been claimed to promote brain, heart and gut health, as well as to help control weight and keep hair and nails healthy. However, currently there’s little-to-no evidence for these effects.
You may know all about the 5 grams of hydrolyzed collagen protein in HL5, but how much do you know about some of the other beneficial ingredients? The great thing about HL5 is there are also a number of other great ingredients that help your body function at its best and to help it absorb the collagen protein! Let’s check out a few of these ingredients below.
- Chicory Root Extract–This ingredient acts as a prebiotic for improved absorption in HL5. Prebiotics are like food for probiotics. It helps provide nutrition for the good gut bacteria that helps with digestion and overall health.
- Fern Extract–This is another ingredient that aids in digestion and absorption. In addition, it helps your body to foster a healthy inflammatory response, and it’s a powerful antioxidant. As we all know, antioxidants are key for Healthy Living as is the ability to absorb nutrition.
- Apple Cider Vinegar–You’ve likely heard about the vast benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar! In HL5, this ingredient is a natural antimicrobial, aids in digestion and absorption, helps maintain healthy skin, and even blood sugar. All great things for people interested in getting pumped up for Healthy Living!
- CoQ10–A beneficial molecule that is also present in Kyäni Nitro Xtreme, CoQ10 has a variety of benefits: it’s another powerful antioxidant that is required for the basic functioning of cells. In fact, it helps generate up to 95% of the human body’s energy. CoQ10 also promotes cardiovascular health and proper blood flow. In addition, CoQ10 levels are reported to decrease with age. Kyäni Nitro Xtreme and HL5 are great ways to boost this critical molecule! CoQ20 also provides UV protection–another great benefit for those looking to slow the look of aging.
- Sodium Hyaluronate–This ingredient is found naturally in the dermis of the skin and is a sodium salt of hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is naturally in the fluid that exits near joints and within the skin. It also acts as a moisturizer for most skin types. Since it is found naturally in the skin, using or consuming products that contain sodium hyaluronate help to replace hyaluronic acid lost due to aging and sun exposure. As we age, hyaluronic acid decreases, which is why sodium hyaluronate is in HL5 to help maintain healthy skin! It works great alongside the beneficial collagen protein that also helps support healthy skin.
Ready to give HL5 a try? Go to SHOP to order! Already love HL5?
FIT20 is jammed packed with 10 grams of grass-fed whey protein isolate and 10 grams of grass fed hydrolyzed collagen protein, all accompanied by other superior beneficial ingredients. The quality protein sources and these additional ingredients are what make FIT20 stand out in the crowd of other protein supplements. Check out the details on these beneficial ingredients below!
- L-Citrulline Malate 2:1: FIT20 is all about working with your body to help give your body what it needs to maintain strength and energy. For this reason, FIT20 also contains L-Citrulline Malate, which aids in long-term production of Nitric Oxide, as well as aiding in response to soreness and fatigue.
- L-Carnitine Tartrate: This is another important element in the production of Nitric Oxide. Further, L-Carnitine Tartrate aids in healthy muscle repair and soreness response, as well as aiding in energy production from stored fat. These are all great things for athletes and fitness enthusiasts of all levels!
- Black Pepper Extract: It may not seem like much, but black pepper extract is a great ingredient that enhances nutrient bioavailability. Combined with hydrolyzed collagen protein and whey protein isolate, you have maximum potential to absorb what FIT20 as well as the Triangle of Health has to offer!
Ready to give FIT20 a try? Head to SHOP to purchase! Already love FIT20?